Established in 1988 and set in the beautiful picturesque Staffordshire Moorlands, we are a leading national provider of mental health rehabilitation, recovery and long term mental health care. Operating in the Northwest / Midlands, but accepting referrals nationwide, we build upon over 31 years experience in mental health care provision.
One of our main goals is to promote a culture of openness and honesty (duty of candour) – in order to improve customer safety and the quality of our healthcare services. We always put the people in our care first.
If you are a service user, relative or commissioner visiting this page – please click on the tab below for information about staying at our services:
JMG – Welcome to the Hospital
Our Current Service Provision:
John Munroe Hospital, Rudyard, Nr Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 8RU (click on tabs below):
- A 14 bedded, locked female rehab in Leek, Staffordshire.
Model of Care (our rehabilitation approach):
John Munroe Group are predominantly a complex challenging behaviour service provider. Every referral to JMH/ESH/Mitchell House is a patient/resident with complex challenging behaviours. The goals are: to safely manage, minimise and adaptively change challenging behaviour.
This is rehabilitation in itself.
In severe chronic cases, rehabilitation involves maximising the patients quality of life despite challenges and minimising the nature and frequency of the challenging behaviour.
We have developed a formulation led service, which is a psychology led approach, involving the whole multidisciplinary team and involves individualised planning and treatments.
Key Principles of JMG Model and Recovery Star:
- Recovery Focused
- Attachment Informed Framework
- Emphasis on enhancing quality of life.
- Person-Centred – Collaboration and mutuality.
- Formulation based – Needs led, individualised, integrative, deriving meaning.
- Trauma Informed – safety, trust, choice.
- Understanding the function of behaviour – communication, unmet needs, response to frustration.
- Six Cs (Care, Compassion, Competence, Communication, Courage, Commitment) embedded in care.
- Empowering – Providing resources and facilities required for personal growth and development.
- Therapeutic – environment, ethos and interventions.
- Opportunities to engage in validating, self-actualising, productive and meaningful experiences
Our mental health services promote:
- Extra high support when required
- Social inclusion
- Community access/ integration
- Individualised packages of care
- Increased contact with family and friends
- Therapeutic employment and educational opportunities
- Greater choice, autonomy and empowerment
We also offer:
- Consultant led assessment and treatment regimes including placements for patients detained under the Mental Health Act.
- Clinical Psychology led by a Consultant Psychologist.
- 24 hour nursing support and interventions and outcomes based care.
- High staff to patient ratios.
- 24 hour care plan monitoring.
- 24 hour risk assessments with on call service.
Rehabilitation Services Include:
- Individual Occupational Therapy assessments– Model of Human Occupation (MOHO) and HoNOS.
- Individual Recovery programmes, INCLUDING Slow and Fast Stream Rehabilitation
- Individual and group psychology sessions
- Medication reducing regimes, for example Methadone
- Assessment/monitoring using standardised assessment tools e.g. KGV, HADS etc
- Social inclusion and promotion of citizenship
- Community based employment and recovery programs
- Community resettlement programs
- Holidays and day trips to places of interest
- Kitchen and music therapy rooms
- Therapy gardens
- Local gym use
- Communal and quiet lounges
- Access to Primary Healthcare through an enhanced GP contract
- Enhanced physical care service via review GP, Clinical Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Lead
- Smoking cessation, well man and women services
- Free Chiropody to all our service users (12 weekly)
- Free basic hair cuts
Relational Security (Aligned to the Department of Health’s See Think Act guidance):
At the John Munroe Group we understand relational security is a key contribute towards our patient groups recovery (all our staff have training in relational security).
Key relational security themes:
- Boundaries and Patient Mix
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Managing Physical Environment
- Relational 1:1 Support